[ BACK UP ]
Certificate in Taxation (QQI Level 5)
- This course aims to give participants the knowledge and skills to make self-employed or small business tax returns and is therefore of interest to business owners, self-employed or office staff.
- The Irish Taxation System, Income Tax and VAT and latest Finance Act regulations are covered.
- It provides a sound foundation for those who want to progress to higher level accounting, business or taxation courses.
- The qualification is a good addition to the CV of anyone wishing to improve career prospects in office administration, bookkeeping and accounting.
- Successful candidates can go on to study other business modules and progress to further qualifications in business or accounting.
Unit 1: Administration
- Complete allforms in relation to the collection of Income Tax and VAT.
- Explain the PAYE System, Self-Assessment and Appeals System.
Unit 2: Income Tax
- Calculate tax for employees and pensioners, self-employed, investment
income, interest, Irish rents and dividends
- Tax credits, reliefs, deductions, charges, cut-off points and
- Taxation of married couples including for year of marriage,
year of death and year of separation.
- Calculate tax due for a self-employed individual, adjusting profits,
capital allowances, tax due and payment dates.
- PRSI for employees and self-employed.
Unit 3: VAT in the Irish Context
- Administration, when it is chargeable, registration, cash receipts basis,
- VAT 3 and Annual Return
- Monitor and implement the latest Finance Act
Assignment 1 (25%): Take a final set of accounts for an individual and calculate the Income Tax and P.R.S.I. due for the financial year.
Assignment 2 (25%): Calculate a VAT liability for two months for a registered business.
21 January, Thursday, 7pm – 10pm, 12 weeks
QQI Level 4 Certificate, Leaving Certificate or equivalent qualifications and/or relevant life experience. Basic bookkeeping knowledge.