[ BACK UP ]
Certificate in Equality and Diversity in Childcare (QQI Level 5)
The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge and skill in relation to equality and diversity in Early Childhood Care and Education, to enable them to facilitate optimum development of the child, ensuring that children benefit on an equal basis and supporting diversity through promoting a sense of belonging and identity
- Approaches to diversity in education including , assimilation, multicultural, intercultural and anti-bias.
- Explore terminology eg. prejudice, discrimination, racism, sexism etc
- Equality Legislation, the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child and the UN International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination.
- Role of the adult in promoting children’s individual and group identity.
- Carry out an audit of the ECCE setting, activities and materials in relation to equality and diversity for all children including the minority and majority child.
- Analyse how adults and children can challenge bias and discrimination issues.
- Ways of respecting equality and diversity requirements in relation to identity to include , language, gender, social class, disability, age, religion, dietary considerations, ethnic groups, traveller community, marital status and sexual orientation.
- Design a mission statement for the ECCE setting with respect to equality and diversity.
- The importance of having an equality and diversity approach in an ECCE setting.
- Reflect on own attitudes, values, beliefs and assumptions.
Course Work Project 50%. Learner Record 50%
15 March, Tuesday and Thursday, 7pm – 10pm
QQI Level 4 Certificate, Leaving Certificate or equivalent and/or relevant life or work experience